Sep 29, 2011

MAC Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation - THOUGHTS...

M∙A∙C Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation 
THOUGHTS...

A virtually "invisible" foundation with coverage influenced by your own skin tone. A breakthrough patented formula technology with a spectrum of 14 light to deep dark shades. Discover shade intelligence!

Matchmaster SPF 15 Foundation
New Foundation technology using translucent pigments to enable a fully personalized finish influenced by the subtleties of your own skin's undertone. Moisturizing demi-matte finish. Medium buildable coverage. Line-reducing soft-focus powders.  

35 ml / 1.18 US fl oz  
US$32.50








The MAC Matchmaster Foundation is priced at $32.50 for 1.18 oz of product. It costs more than the average MAC Foundation but if you look closer you will realize that it actually holds more product and costs about the same per ounce as the cheapest MAC Foundation. This for me was a selling point since MAC Foundations are already on the cheaper end of mid-end cosmetics. I know $32.50 may sound quite high but considering the amount of product plus the quality, it is actually a decent price. Check out the comparisons below:


 
The MAC Matchmaster Foundation is available for purchase at MAC (stores and online) and other MAC retailers such as Nordstrom, Macy's, etc. There are 14 shades available but be sure to get matched in store to ensure you get the correct shade. MAC has provided comparison charts based on existing MAC NC and NW shades for their makeup artists to decipher your true shade. However, I anticipate that due to the limited shade options you may have to mix two or more colors to get an exact match. Each shade is meant to cover a range of skintones so there will of course be some less than perfect 'matches'.

For reference I am NC45 in MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation and my shade in MAC Matchmaster Foundation is 7.0. 





The MAC Matchmaster Foundation comes in similar packaging as the MAC Pro Longwear Foundation which is a sturdy glass bottle with a built-in foundation pump. Since the pump is built-in, you will save the expense of having to purchase and separate pump for ease of use.

The pump itself is completely controllable so you will not inadvertently waste product plus it keeps the foundation sanitary since it isn't exposed to the 'elements'. You are able to disperse as much or as little product as necessary (thankfully) and therefore get the most out of the foundation without squirting money down the drain. The pump also has a lock mechanism which is perfect for travel.

The glass bottle also helps with the longevity of the foundation by keeping it sealed tightly and provide a barrier against exposure to bacteria or environmental factors.

 




 




The foundation is a medium thick liquid with a creamy, silky texture. The pigmentation/opacity is moderate allowing for medium to full coverage. You will get even coverage with a light layer and can add more for a more intense coverage.

The finish is a very natural matte that blends very well onto the skin without being overly matte and drying. The foundation blend seamlessly over the skin for a natural, flawless finish. I will agree that fine lines are reduced (or camouflaged) by the foundation making the skin look almost flawless. It also evens out the skintone (as it should...it is foundation afterall) and covers light spots on the skin. The only real drawback is you will look flawless so you will appear to be wearing makeup even with the natural finish of the foundation. This is simply by virtue of a flawless finish! Duh! But what does this mean? You may still want to add a bit of dimension to your face with contouring, blush and highlight...but no biggie!

Although the foundation isn't marketed as 'oil controlling', I will say that it works well with my oily skin and keeps the oil at bay for 8+ hours. For testing I didn't apply powder so I know for sure that I owe the 'not so oily' result to the foundation.

There is a certain sweet synthetic smell to the foundation when directly inhaled. However, this smell does not linger or stay on the skin when applied to the skin. This is a good thing since MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation and MAC Pro Longwear Foundation do have intense scents that can be overwhelming and do stay on the skin for some time.

The best thing about this foundation is that it is lightweight! It is one of the lightest feeling foundations I have actually ever tried and it feels great on the skin. I hardly felt like I was wearing anything at all. It is even better than most tinted moisturizers I have tried and even the face and body foundations I have in my collection. I attribute this to the fact that it isn't a 'restricting' formula...most matte foundations are drying and restricting and leave your skin feeling tightened and weighed down. Other medium to full coverage foundations are heavy with pigments and you can 'feel' the foundation throughout wear.

 Translates a little orange-ish!


 Can you even see it? That's how natural the finish is :)





I really like this foundation. I had my doubts but it works very well for a flawless finish while remaining lightweight. In fact this is my new found foundation love! I don't think everyone will find their perfect shade match here which is a drawback but if you are lucky to get a decent match then definitely give it a try. Even my shade turns out to be a little bit orange-ish on my skin but nothing a good setting powder can't tweak.

Have you tried this foundation? What do you think?



***
Bare Face before foundation

 ***
Bare Face before foundation


 

 ***
After foundation (no powder)

 ***
After foundation (no powder)
Flawless :)

 

***
After 12 hours of wear (no powder)

 ***
After 12 hours of wear (no powder)
The oilies bear their ugly faces in my t-zone


Me no likies the oilies!


12 comments:

  1. does it have a smell? I know the studio fix has a slight synthetic sent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina!
    Love ur blog :)
    I'm a fellow NC 45er, would you be able to tell me what shade u used?
    Thank u very much, and nice to see u back.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. No fair! Your skin was already flawless before, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ur reviews are awsome.. so informative tht i dont have google any more to get any info.. love u gal
    whitemoonflower100

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am loving this foundation...in less than a week it quickly rose to the top of my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, you should trademark the "My Five P's" :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez.....I went to the counter and got a couple of samples 6 & 7.
    7 was too red/copper and the 6 was too ashy looking on my skin. I thought this foundation had no undertones so it would blend seamlessly with your complexion. Come on MAC what about a 6.5?!?!?! I will stick with NARS Syracuse & Tahoe (depends on my tan)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to hear such good things about this foundation from you. I've been looking into various foundation brands and when this recently came out I started pondering about it. I want to buy a foundation that is affordable and good quality and I am thinking I may have found it. Once again I am very happy and thankful to have read your very informative review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Stephanie. If u smell it directly from the bottle it has a strong scent but u don't notice the scent when applied to the skin at all. I added that to the review. Good point to bring up. Thx!

    Hi Roxie! Thx girl! I totally forgot to add my shade...silly girl! LOL! It's 7.0...now added to the post.

    Hahahaha Dominique. I wish! I don't have too many issues...just uneven tone. So foundation just evens everything out nicely and keeps the oilies at bay :)

    Thanks so much emberlish! I'm so glad the reviews help!

    Good to hear Covagirlm. How's it doing now? I still love it.

    I should right Beauty? But how do I do that? LOL!

    I'm surprised too Felicia that they didn't cover some more shades. 7.0 is definitely a little orange/red. Did u get samples? It may blend in over time like MAC says. IDK :(

    No prob Hershey! Glad it helps. Be sure to get samples to try out before committing. It's a nice foundation and I am loving it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm impressed with the depth of your review. Very helpful. The foundation looks beautiful on your skin. It really is an impressive match.

    www.fashaholicsanonymous.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh found the review! Ok I'll definitely be getting this...we're the same shade so this review was extremely helpful! Thanks Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I thought your first picture (with no makeup) was the foundation picture until I kept reading! Your skin is flawless. You should do more skincare posts. I was looking at trying this foundation. I think I will now (for me and my kit). I was scared because I'm oily too and I tend break out with MAC foundations.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Free to contact me via email with further questions or business inquiries at thefancyface@hotmail.com. Comments that include advertisements, self-promotion, insults, etc. are subject to deletion.

>